What’s New?on October 6, 2011 at 8:47 am
So, as I promised, here is the first Thursday article. I mentioned on Monday that I had been reading some other webcomics. Well my favorite one right now is a great comic called Powernap. I found them on Brubaker’s site reMINDblog.com in his article from 9/30/11. Jason is a much better writer than me and I couldn’t describe it any better, so I am going to take the easy way out on this one and repost his excerpt about Powernap here.
“This week I also stumbled on a new webcomic while digging through InkOutbreak called Powernap. Wow! I don’t know anything about these guys but I LOVE this webcomic! It has really solid art/design/acting/story/humor/action/monsters. I was completely sucked in and I can’t wait to see where this goes and I really want this artist/writer team to have huge success because they are killing it! Check it out when you have a second.
Mind BLOWN again!”
Thanks Jason for helping the people that are doing things right, get noticed. I might never would have been introduced to this site otherwise.
Also, I discovered another digital comic while perusing the forum MakingGraphicNovels.Com. It is called In Maps and Legends and the story is by Michael Jasper and the art by Niki Smith.I haven’t read much so far, but what I have seen has really dazzled me. I will definitely be getting all the issues. The artwork is really loose and gorgeous and the writing is believable. There’s nothing more irritating than dialogue that seems scripted, if that makes any sense. Well, there’s none of that in this fantasy story. Don’t take my word for it. Go check out the Free Preview! Oh yeah, and it’s $.99 cents an issue…They’re practically giving it away(not to sound too infomercially)!
“Kait doesn’t know why she gets up in the middle of the night to carve a map onto the wall of the spare room of her apartment.Before she can finish it, though, a strange man named Bartamus shows up at her place in the middle of a wintry night, claiming to be from another, dying world that desperately needs Kait’s help.“
And here’s some links to reviews and interviews from Niki’s site.
- Robot 6 named Niki and Mike “Digital Creators of the Year” for 2010 (it was a tie with Alex de Campi).
- Niki talks comics and MAPS for the Toronto Comic Arts Festival (TCAF) with the National Post.
- Mike wraps up the first 9-issue storyline with a look back at what he learned from scripting MAPS for the Flames Rising website.
- Mike and Niki talked about going digital with the Thing From Another World blog, as part of their Digital Comics Month.
- Mike is running a series of ongoing blogs about creating digital comics at his website.
- Niki and Mike did a fun, hopefully informative podcast about comics and digital publishing with Webcomic Beacon.
- Brigid Alverson at Robot 6 has an extensive interview with Niki and Mike.
- Another excellent set of interview questions from 3 Million Years, plus a Spotlight article there about MAPS.
- An internet radio chat with Mike about MAPS, hosted by Susan Wingate and Joshua Graham at BlogTalkRadio.
- Mike discusses the comic, Issue 2, and digital publishing with Digital Comics News. Here’s a followup from May 2011.
- A nice overview of the opening of Issue 1 at Overbury Ink.
- An interview about our new approach to distributing MAPS with Blog-It Llama.
- Another interview about the re-launch with The Fabler.
- Comics Worth Reading also discusses the launch of Issue 1.
- ComixTalk gives a nice rundown of what’s available with Issue One.
- Hypergeek joins the relaunch fun!
- Comic Book Resources’ Robot 6 is the first to share the news about the MAPS re-launch!
That’s it for now. I’ll post up some links for these in the Links page as well. Have a Great Weekend and I’ll see you back here Monday.